Washington, DC area
Mode of Transport
Driving, cycling, remote working, and public transit
Type of intervention
Carpool Program, Shuttle Program, Commuter Education
MITRE is a not-for-profit organization headquartered In McLean, Virginia and Bedford, Massachusetts and 60 offices globally.
How BWC Helped
MITRE has been a Best Workplace for Commuters since 2013. The organization has a history of offering more sustainable travel options for employees. Their comprehensive commuting program for the 3,600 employees in the Washington, DC area includes:
- A shuttle service between offices and transit stations.
- Transportation and commuting kits during orientation for all new hires.
- Guaranteed ride home program.
- Reserved parking for carpools and vanpools.
- Electric vehicle charging stations.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via payroll deductions.
- Employees can earn points for redeemable discounts by logging their sustainable commutes.
- Discounted carshare memberships.
- Active transportation facilities, including bicycle parking and free access to shower and locker facilities for cyclists, joggers, and walkers.
- Flexible working hours policy.
The data collected from the implementation of these programs, have led to several achievements for MITRE, including:
Source: Employer Commute Benefit Program Case Study (2015). Available at: https://www.commuterconnections.org/wp-content/uploads/Mitre-case-study.docx [Accessed: January 3, 2022].
Disclaimer: The information presented above is taken from the source document. pointA does not take responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information presented. Please note that pointA did not work with MITRE on their commuting program.